How cold does it get at Yellowstone?

Forums All about Yellowstone Yellowstone in Winter How cold does it get at Yellowstone?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  KennethBrode 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Lyssie
    Lyssie

How cold does it get at Yellowstone? Does it get cold enough to snow or for the lakes to freeze over? I am thinking that it doesn’t because of all of the geysers, but I am still curious. 🙂

debayo

This site shows the monthly temperatures at Yellowstone. You might find it interesting:
    http://gonw.about.com/library/climate/blyellowstonetemps.htm

Of course snow falls in that part of the planet. Here’s an image of a buffalo making its way through deep snow in Yellowstone.

1726149-Buffalo_Making_His_Way_Through_the_Deep_Snow-Yellowstone_National_Park.jpg

What the information tells me is that the best months to go there are July, August and September.

outdoorsJoe

I thought with all the geysers and heat, the ground may have stayed warm enough to keep snow from accumulating even if it fell. That picture sure does prove I was wrong.

Starla

Those were my thoughts too, outdoorsJoe. Isn’t there over 300 geysers at Yellowstone? That’s why I’m so surprised that it gets cold! Lovely picture of the buffalo, though. 🙂

oco
    oco
    Participant

At dunraven pass one year I remember there being 40 feet of snow in May. That was accumulated over the year it didn’t all fall in May.

camperfan
    camperfan

40 feet? wow that is a lot of snow. I would have thought that the snow would melt once it hit the ground too. I remember reading that one of the waterfalls completely freezes over and you can ski up and down the trail to take a look at it.

Lyssie
    Lyssie

Woops, I feel like an idiot. I just noticed the forum for Yellowstone in the Winter. I didn’t see that before. Sorry for the redundant posting!

And 40 feet is a lot of snow. I can’t even fathom that much snow.

oco
    oco
    Participant

No worries Lyssie, I moved it for you. Yeah 40 feet is a TON of snow.

Yellowstone National Park straddles the continental divide of the Rocky Mountains. It’s location in Wyoming is inland North America, and it is also high elevation. Yeah, it snows, and yeah, it gets really cold.

Wild One

Cold is not a problem during the summer months at all, though there have been exceptions and it has snowed in the summer. That’s not common though. It can be pretty brisk in May and September, so timing is key.

KennethBrode

Greetings! I’m so glad to join your community!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.